HRANA IN RECEPTI

Gostilne in restavracije. Vsi imamo različne izkušnje- zakaj jih ne bi zaupali drugim- dobre in slabe.
Vnesite svoje nove izkušnje ali le dodajte lastno izkušnjo.

HRANA IN RECEPTI

OdgovorNapisal/-a Marko Puš » Po Nov 26, 2007 6:33 pm

To temo odpiram za debate o hrani na splošno in za zanimive recepte.

Tole pa sem našel na ameriškem cigarskem forumu o staranju, pripravi in peki biftkov. Trije pristopi....Cela znanost... :shock:

I/Prvi post
1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual. [In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton "shrouds" during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.]

Used an old fridge i have in the basement aged it for 6 weeks.
The result is Unreal tastes like a peter luger steak.
At a fraction of the cost.

II. Odgovor na prvi post......
I take it that you read the Wall Street Journal article explaining this process:

The Search for the Perfect Steak Aging your own beef. 'Secret' spices -- from the supermarket. Our
reporter's quest for a steakhouse-quality meal at home.
By KATY MCLAUGHLIN
September 8, 2007; Page P1

I'm standing in the kitchen of Brooklyn, N.Y.'s Peter Luger Steak House, inches from a wall of broilers, fearing that I, like the Flintstone-size porterhouses sizzling behind me, might be developing a heavy char. Waiters rush to pick up hissing plates of beef, while
cooks spear steaks onto huge, pointy forks and, in a flash, dissect them into chunks.

After five years of attempting to perfect a method for cooking steak at home, I've come to one of the most renowned steakhouses in the
country to learn how to make meat like a pro. The mission is personal: For all the hundreds of steaks I've set under my broiler throughout
the years, I've never yet managed to duplicate that most irresistible of meals, the steakhouse steak.

So over the past three months, I've taken a journey into the world of steak. I encountered a passionate subculture of foodies who risk microbial Armageddon and turn their refrigerators into makeshift aging caves. I hung out in busy steakhouse kitchens where one false step can send a person tumbling onto the business end of a 10-inch chef's knife. And while practicing one pro's shopping techniques at my neighborhood Costco, I studied the lines of marbling in a pack of T-bones as if I were reading tea leaves.

Even as the price of prime beef skyrockets -- partially an odd side effect of the nation's new love of ethanol, which is driving up the price of corn used to feed cattle -- I discovered there's a trick to making cheaper choice cuts nearly as flavorful and tender as prime.
And I learned why the most critical gadgets in the pro steak chef's grilling arsenal are a humble cast-iron pan and tongs.

Americans have grown accustomed to the taste of top-drawer steak since the steakhouse industry began to boom in the early 1990s. But for
years, there was a still a difference between the beef served up at these pricey restaurants and the best cuts sold in most stores. That
began to change toward the end of the '90s, when more retailers started carrying USDA prime, sometimes dry-aged. The "prime" label is the highest grade assigned to beef by the Agriculture Department based on the amount of marbling, or lines of fat, it contains. Lesser
grades, such as choice and select, have less marbling.

Whole Foods Market has built 16 dry-aging caves in its stores since 1999, and Wegmans, an East Coast supermarket chain, started selling prime, dry-aged beef in all 70 of its stores three years ago. Donald Trump now hawks fancy beef through the Sharper Image catalog, and mail-order company Allen Brothers says business was up 80% last year from the year prior.

But the good stuff doesn't come cheap. At Peter Luger, for example, a porterhouse for two costs $81.90 -- or roughly $2.04 an ounce. You can
cook a similar steak at home by buying a porterhouse package through the restaurant's online butcher shop for $206.20, or about $2.71 an ounce (though you get steak sauce, chocolate coins and shipping, too).

Whereas restaurants might eat margin losses or rejigger the rest of the menu to offset losses, retailers set their prices high partly as a
hedge against market fluctuations. This year, for example, wholesale prices for USDA prime steaks have jumped 8% to 9% from the same period
last year -- and that's on top of a 15% increase from 2005 to 2006. These are historically large jumps, according to market analyst Cattle-Fax, reflecting the high demand for prime.

Fueling the increase are corn prices that have risen by 50% this year compared with last year, partly a result of rising ethanol demand.
Ethanol uses up 26% of the total U.S. corn crop -- up from 11% five years ago, according to USDA numbers. In response, the beef industry is cutting the number of days it feeds cattle grain, which translates into fewer cattle developing the marbling that merits a prime grade.

My personal steak life can be divided into the years before and after I met my husband. Raised in Uruguay, where cattle outnumber people by
nearly 4 to 1, he grew up steeped in a cuisine that can be basically summed up in two words: grilled beef.

Before we met, I considered steak beneath my culinary aspirations, and on the rare occasions I did cook it, I usually picked it up at the
local grocery store. At most stores, meat doesn't tout any grade, a pretty good sign that it's USDA select, a tougher, less-flavorful
grade a notch below USDA choice. After my husband came into the picture, I started buying USDA choice beef at Costco for biweekly steak dinners.

As it happens, that's exactly where the pros told me to shop to find great beef -- the first step in my steak-cooking quest. Elias Iglesias, the 14-year veteran executive chef at the New York branch of Morton's, says though he uses prime at the restaurant, he happily cooks choice meat at home, often buying whole loins at big-box stores such as BJ's or Costco. If you like filet mignon, look for a cut labeled "beef tenderloin"; for strip steaks, buy "strip loin."

Mr. Iglesias then cuts them into even, 1½- to 2-inch steaks himself (filet should be cut 2½ inches thick). The 33-year-old recommends
examining packages of precut steaks closely for the degree of marbling. In my experience, well-marbled choice steaks can taste as good as prime if they are properly aged and cooked.
DRY-AGING AT HOME

This is the method we used to dry-age strip steaks. Food safety experts do not recommend any type of aging at home, because of the risk of food-borne illness.
1. Buy a whole USDA Choice strip loin, available at big-box stores
such as B.J.'s or Costco.
2. Clean the kitchen and refrigerator with a solution of diluted
bleach. Run all equipment through a hot dishwasher cycle. Wash hands.
3. Line a baking pan with paper towels and place a baking rack into
the pan. Remove the strip loin from the vacuum pack and place it, fat
side down, onto the baking rack.
4. Place the baking pan onto the bottom level of an empty or fairly
empty refrigerator. Place ice packs around the refrigerator to make
sure the temperature stays below 40 degrees. Avoid opening the door
frequently.
5. Leave the loin aging for 2 to 7 days maximum.
6. With clean hands and equipment, and using a very sharp knife, slice
off every piece of exterior meat, making sure no hard, desiccated
tissue is left on any part of the loin.
7. Slice the loin into 11/2- to 2-inch steaks. Freeze unused portions.

While prime beef is slightly scarcer than usual right now -- accounting for about 2.5% to 3% of all beef on the market, down from
3.1% last year -- choice beef is plentiful, at roughly 58% of all beef, compared with 56% last year. Beef grade is largely determined by nature, though the industry tries, through genetics and feeding practices, to raise cattle so that they will earn a choice grade.

Though shopping turned out to be fairly simple, the next step was complex, arduous and even a bit scary. One of the most passionate
debates among steak lovers has to do with the aging process. Wet aging, which is how Morton's handles its beef, involves vacuum packing
the meat in a bag for several weeks after it is slaughtered. The technique allows enzymes in the beef time to break down and tenderize
muscle tissue.

At Peter Luger, where the tin ceilings and beer-hall-style decor hark back to its 120-year history, they go a step further and dry age the
meat. There, several tons of beef sit on wooden racks in a huge dry-aging room that has a distinctly pungent, nutty, somewhat sour
odor. This arcane and expensive technique -- what one beef expert described to me as "a process of controlled rotting" -- is what gives
Peter Luger beef its signature flavor. To my mind, dry-aged beef is the best there is because it's not only tenderized, but much of the
liquid evaporates, leaving behind a smaller, but more intensely flavored piece of meat.

Trolling through meat threads on food Web sites Chowhound and eGullet, I discovered a whole subculture of people who forgo buying dry-aged
beef and prefer to do it themselves, despite warnings from health experts. Cook's Illustrated, the cooking magazine that rigorously tests recipes, and the Food Network's Alton Brown have also both published recipes for home-aging beef.

Jack Bishop, editorial director of America's Test Kitchen, which owns Cook's Illustrated, says "if safety is your No. 1 concern, you
probably don't want to go down the road of aging your beef," but that he believes it is fairly safe if cooks observe strict hygiene and
limit the aging to four days. Alton Brown also says aging can be safe if properly done.

But everyone from food scientists to butchers to cooking schools say aging beef at home is a huge risk. "The dangers outweigh the benefits," says Brian Buckley, who specializes in food safety at the Institute of Culinary Education. Unless it's possible to achieve a consistent meat temperature below 40 degrees, a controlled humidity level, constant air flow, strict sanitation and expert butchering, says Mr. Buckley, bacteria, yeasts and mold can easily develop, both within a vacuum-sealed pack or outside of it; any of these can easily lead to food-borne illness.

Cooking the meat to 165 degrees would kill off pathogens, but the meat would be like shoe leather by then. For medium rare, most chefs cook steak until the interior is 125 to 130 degrees (it will continue to rise in temperature by a further five to 10 degrees as it rests) and
has a rosy, but not blood-red, hue.

None of this stops David Farbman, an investment banker in Boston, from dry aging the sirloins he buys from a butcher shop. He leaves roasts
in the fridge for up to 10 days, then carefully trims away the desiccated parts before slicing steaks. Melanie Wong in San Francisco wet ages hanger steak by leaving it in vacuum-sealed bags for up to a week beyond the "consume by" date. As far as food safety goes, Ms. Wong, a pharmaceutical consultant, says her meat passes "a sniff test."

Not to be outdone, I turned my own kitchen into a laboratory. I spent more than $100 for wire racks, baking trays, ice packs, plus, at
Costco, two beef tenderloins and two whole top loins -- around $61 each. My plan was to dry age half the beef, then compare it to the other meat, which was essentially wet aging in vacuum-sealed bags.

I started by cleaning all my equipment (Mr. Buckley recommends diluted bleach) then laid a tenderloin and a strip loin on baking racks set
into baking sheets lined with paper towels. I put them into the lower half of the refrigerator, which I lined with ice packs. Because tenderloin is already tender, I aged it for only two days, but the strip got a week.

I tried to create air flow by installing a hand-held fan in the fridge, but the battery gave out in a couple of hours, so I just hoped
for the best. Before slicing the meat into steaks, I trimmed every last exterior scrap of dry meat.

A series of blind taste tests with my husband and my parents revealed that even this limited amount of dry aging (steakhouses age meat for
strip steaks three weeks or more) was highly effective. Everyone preferred the richer, more toothsome dry-aged meat over the blander
wet-aged filet. While both strip steaks were yummy, the wet aged tasted hammy compared with the beefier, more intense dry-aged.

Still, even my dry-aged meat didn't have the flavorful crust of steakhouse steak. So my next challenge was figuring out a better way of cooking the meat to show off its taste.

I turned to the professionals, requesting one-on-one instruction from the chefs at Morton's and Peter Luger. To my surprise, I found that beyond cooking in broilers cranked up to at least 800 degrees, which sears the exterior of the meat, the two steakhouses did about everything else differently.

At Morton's, I saw large trays of raw meat sitting out beside the stove. Mr. Iglesias explained that the restaurant lets steak sit
outside the refrigerator for about an hour -- as much as the health code allows -- but "at home I let them sit for two hours," he admitted. The purpose: To raise the internal temperature slightly, so that the center doesn't stay cold while the exterior burns. This turned out to be a key technique for cooking the perfect steak.

To imitate the golden crust the steakhouse broiler provides, Mr. Iglesias suggests searing steaks in an extremely hot cast-iron pan
coated with a little oil and flipping them with tongs, never a fork, which releases juices. Then, the steaks should be moved to the center
rack of a 400-degree oven to finish cooking. Of course, it's wonderful to use an outdoor grill -- searing first over high heat and then
moving the steaks to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking -- though not practical in winter.

Morton's also seasons steak with a secret salt-and-spice blend. Mr. Iglesias says Lawry's Seasoned Salt is a perfectly good alternative
(though I, a purist, just use kosher salt). After cooking, he says it's critical to let the meat rest for a few minutes before eating it,
to allow the juices to reabsorb into the meat.

Over at Peter Luger, I was in for a shock. Chef Maciej Truskolaski and third-generation co-owner Jody Storch both seemed sheepish as I
positioned myself in front of a row of hot ovens, notebook in hand, ready to soak in their genius. When I saw the technique, I understood
why: Mr. Truskolaski grabbed a cold porterhouse, placed it on the grill rack of the broiler and sprinkled it with some salt. He then removed it while it was still raw inside, cut it into piece, put it on a plate, and broiled it to medium-rare.

"Don't tell people to do this at home, all the juices will run out," Ms. Storch said, acknowledging that cutting a piece of steak into
chunks before it has been fully cooked is a notorious no-no in steak cookery (as is using forks to flip meat, as is starting with cold
steak). "We just do it this way because it's what we've always done," Ms. Storch said.

Once back in my home kitchen, I began to do things as I'd never done: Using my hand-cut, USDA choice dry-aged strip steak, I applied the
cast-iron pan sear and finished the steaks in the oven. While I wouldn't say that my steaks are an exact replica of steakhouse beef, for a fraction of the price they get darn close.

III: In še tretje mnenje.....
Friends,

You should know - it is very, very, very easy to dry age beef at home - and, it is very, very beneficial. Even cut steaks can be dried over a day or three and be improved dramatically.

Dry Aging a Steak: Take your steaks out of their packaging and dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Place a double thickness paper towel on a suitable sized plate and place the steaks on it. I usually buy a couple of steak in the afternoon on the day prior to desired cooking day. Place the steaks in your frig. uncovered until the next morning. In the morning, replace the paper towel and flip the steak to the other side. That afternoon, your steak is ready. This 24 hour drying period dramatically improves a wet piece of beef. Please note that you can continue this process for a few more days, but you will have to cover the steak slightly (not tightly) to prevent the exposed surface from over-drying while still allowing some ventilation. I have continued drying a steak in this fashion for about 4-5 days, but you have to flip the steak daily and during the last day or so, I might also rub some olive oil on the steak to protect the surface (pre-prep for cooking) from too much drying. When you are ready to cook, if there are any really dried out edges, I simply trim them off. I have also dried steaks for a couple of days in this manner, then wrapped them in an old clean cotton undershirt and kept them for up to a week. This multi-day steak drying method is extremely beneficial to the flavor and I must say that some of my best steaks ever (including Peter Lugers), were dried with this method. I actually believe that drying individual steaks in this manner can work better than in whole chunks, because you can really dry up and intensify the beef flavor evenly throughout the steak. I find that many times, a whole chunk that has been aged, is much less dried on the interior cuts. Therefore, the end cuts tend to be better.

Dry-Aging a Whole Chunk:
Very easy, and I have done it many times and never ever had any problems at all. Buy a whole ribeye or strip loin. Semi-boneless ribeyes are fine because you can easily cut between the rib bones to slice up cowboy ribeyes. Semi-boneless strips on the other hand are virtually impossible to cut with a standard butcher knife. Buy a chunk, take it out the package and rinse the chunk in your sink with cold water. It is imperative that you sanitize/clean your sink very well before. Rinse the chunk and dry it thoroughly with paper towels. Put a double layer of paper towels on a suitable sized pan and put the chunk, fat side down on it. Place the pan in the fridge (lowest shelf - rear) for one (1) day. This will allow the surface moisture to dry out. Then, take a clean old cotton undershirt and cut it so that it is one large piece. Wrap the chunk in the cotton completely and lay it, fat side down in the same place that the pan was. It is no longer necessary to keep in on the pan as the chunk should be dried enough and will not leak or even saturate the cloth. Every few days, pull the chunk out and re-wrap it to move the chunk to cleaner areas of the cloth that haven't been directly touched by the meat. If you are really concerned, replace the cloth with a new one each week - I never do though. I have kept chunks like this for up to 3 weeks in my fridge - slicing off steaks as I need them. Now, you need to use your own discretion when trimming - if an edge looks too dry - trim it off. Trust me, the last steak (most dry) you eat will be the best one!

Cooking Method: Put your oven rack on the highest level under the broiler element. Turn the oven on broil at it's hottest setting. Keep oven door closed for the preheat. Simultaneously, heat an iron skillet (on stovetop) on a high temp setting. Season steak thoroughly with sea salt and black pepper then coat with olive oil.

Once the oven has reached temperature and the skillet is very hot, put the steak in the skillet - then put the skillet on the top rack under the broiler with the oven door cracked open. Broil to desired temp. and remove skillet and place steak on a plate. For an added treat, immediately throw one tablespoon of butter in the skillet to release the beef gratin and immediately pour the butter sauce over the steak - yummy!!! NOTE: Steaks need to be cut at least 1 1/2 inches thick but preferably thicker - 2 - 2 1/2 is best. It allows for a great crust without overcooking the interior.

Beef Eater
Marko Puš

OdgovorNapisal/-a Marko Puš » Po Nov 26, 2007 6:36 pm

...no prišel pa je še drugi odgovor "govedojedca" :) ....

The article you are quoting is a very old writing by Merle Ellis. It is a very good method and I generally agree with it except for two significant points. One - I always dry individual steaks - never to the point that you might call it "aging" but the effect is very similar - moisture reduction and the associated intensification of beef flavor. I won't try to hold a steak for 2 weeks, however. Two - he indicates that only USDA choice and prime can be aged. That is not correct - any grade of beef can be improved with some aging/drying. In particular, the Select grade can be substantially improved by aging. Select grade beef tends to have been aged less than choice and prime on average because the final price (based on grading) cannot cost-justify associated longer aging cost. You can take a very inexpensive piece of select beef and turn it into a very, very improved tasting steak by aging at home.

Merle refers to the still-attached fat layer that is generally associated with choice and prime grades. That is very very old information - from the 70's. Choice and Prime grades are many times (now) very trimmed of most of the thick outer-layer fat. That does not mean it cannot be aged at home. It just means that you may need to do slight trimming of normally edible meat edges rather than fat trimming. But remember, the fat layer he refers to is only on one side of the loin or rib sections. What about the other side? I credit Merle for starting this phenomena (including me), but after many years, I have found that it is not "the only way/bible" on the subject.

Beef Eater
Marko Puš

OdgovorNapisal/-a kuzma2 » To Nov 27, 2007 6:55 am

Ja, kuhanje steakov je kot inflacija. Vsak ekonomist ima svojo rešitev. Ampak osnova je še vedno dober denar- pardon meso.
FK
kuzma2

OdgovorNapisal/-a VCC » Sr Nov 28, 2007 8:59 am

Mal sem zmeden med temi ameriškimi imeni za kose mesa, zgleda pa iz več različnih variant delajo "stejke". A kdo ve, kaj je kaj? Recimo - rib-eye, strip loin, tender loin (to sem pogruntal, da je pljučna), T-bone, porterhouse, top loin.....
LP; VCC
VCC

OdgovorNapisal/-a kuzma2 » Sr Nov 28, 2007 9:12 am

Evo, da se bo stvar "poenostavila", kako se klasificira samo en tip mesa za stejke v povezavi z maš?omami v mesu- ve? je fine maš?obe, bolje je stejk. To je ravno tisto, ki daje Kobe( Wagyu)- se pravi japonski govedini ceno tudi do norih 1000 USD za 1 kg:

What is Quality Beef? USDA Grade
Additional Quality Classifications
Aging Process
Other Factors Affecting Quality

Although you may believe that beef quality is subjective, the USDA has established an objective scale to measure the quality, tenderness and flavor of beef. Moreover, understanding the aging process utilized and the duration of aging helps you to predict these taste characteristics as well. There are additional factors that affect the quality and the resulting USDA grade, and these include where the cattle are raised, the diet the cattle are fed, and how long the cattle live before they are slaughtered. Uptown Prime is committed to sharing this specific information with you so you fully understand and appreciate the superior quality steaks that you are purchasing.

USDA Grade

The USDA has created a classification schema for quality referring to eating characteristics such as tenderness, juiciness and flavor. Although beef is required to be inspected by the USDA, it is not required to be graded by the USDA, and several other direct beef suppliers take advantage of this caveat. Some of the "Other Guys" offer "no roll" beef which means it is only inspected by the USDA. Their beef is not graded by the USDA, and these suppliers actually describe and classify their cuts using their own terminology. You have to guess and trust them as to the quality of the beef. It is unclear why they do this because there is a very specific scale they can use to classify their beef which is understood and accepted by everyone.

The USDA classifications, which describe the tenderness, flavor and juiciness of beef, are based on the marbling level of beef and the age of the animal. Marbling is essentially little flakes of fat interspersed throughout the beef. When cooked, the marble melts and creates that great steak flavor. The highest quality beef has the best and most marbling and gives the beef that great steakhouse taste. However, it is important to realize the distinction between marbling and fat. Fat is a more encompassing term and there are several other parts of fat on the beef that will actually lower the USDA grade. The best quality has the most marbling, but not the most fat.

The USDA has established 8 classifications which are:

Prime
Choice
Select
Standard
Commercial
Utility
Cutter
Canner
Typically prime, choice and select are the cuts that are sold to consumers for consumption. The other cuts are used in canned product, ground beef and other products like frankfurters. Uptown Prime primarily offers USDA Choice and above, but does offer a few cuts of USDA Select Filet Mignon.

USDA Prime - is the highest classification and roughly only 2% of American beef is categorized as prime. It has the highest level of marbling which corresponds to the best flavor when cooked. USDA Prime is difficult to find in the US as most of it is exported to other countries like Japan. At Uptown Prime, we offer several cuts of USDA prime beef.

USDA Choice - most restaurants offer USDA choice beef (several of the best steakhouses offer USDA prime) which is the second highest category and has about 15% less marbling than USDA Prime. Additionally, Certified Angus Beef has to be at least USDA Choice quality. Most of Uptown Prime's selections including its Certified Angus Beef are a minimum quality of USDA Choice.

USDA Select - is a very common quality consumed in the US. It has roughly 15% less marbling than the USDA Choice. The beef is leaner and thus sometimes preferred by consumers, but it is not as tender or flavorful. USDA Select is what is primarily found in supermarkets. Uptown Prime offers a few USDA Select Filet Mignons. Even though you can find USDA Select Filets in supermarkets, you won't be able to find the same quality as Uptown Prime's filets. This is due to the aging process and the fact that we triple trim our filets - this way when you purchase a 6 oz. steak, you are getting 6 ounces of beef; you are not paying for the fat that you won't eat.

Additional Quality Classifications

Certified Angus Beef - Certified Angus Beef is a further classification that extends the USDA grading scale to include additional specifications that need to be met. Only 8% of U.S. beef meets these more stringent requirements and can be classified as Certified Angus Beef.

First, the cattle must have an Angus heritage. However, just having Angus heritage does not ensure great quality. All Certified Angus Beef needs to be at least in the top third of the USDA Choice classification. There are 6 additional requirements around marbling, leanness and maturity to be met in order to receive the Certified Angus labeling. With this classification scheme, you can be assured you are receiving great quality.

Uptown Prime is proud to offer a wide selection of Certified Angus Beef products (link to angus beef page).

American Raised Kobe - the ultimate taste experience in U.S. beef is probably Wagyu American raised Kobe. This unique breed's heritage is from the famous Japanese Kobe beef. This beef is so flavorful that the USDA grades are not enough to describe it. The marbling is above the USDA prime marbling standards, and thus is also classified using the Japanese scale. This beef also is raised in a different fashion than traditional U.S. cattle. The beef are only fed a special diet and are massaged with sake to give it the special flavor. Additionally, the Wagyu cattle are fed for up to an additional year before being slaughtered, and thus are a more flavorful cut.

Uptown Prime offers a large selection of American raised Kobe. If you have not tried this cut of beef, you are missing something special.

Aging Process.....

Na tem linku trgovine si preberi: shop by cuts:
http://home.proflowers.com/uptownprime/index.cfm?CatID=quality&REF=SRF&COBRAND=UPP

Ja, naše mesarije šo še dale? od takšnih ponudb!
FK
kuzma2

OdgovorNapisal/-a Marko Puš » Sr Nov 28, 2007 6:14 pm

[quote="administrator"]Ja, naše mesarije šo še daleč od takšnih ponudb!

Naše mesarije so "poden"!
Marko Puš

KOBE GOVEDINA

OdgovorNapisal/-a Marko Puš » Pe Nov 30, 2007 1:35 pm

Tole je pa zanimiv ?lanek o znameniti japonski govedini Kobe....

Kobe Beef vs Wagyu cattle: What is this stuff, anyways?
Kobe Beef is a legendary delicacy of Japan, a type of beef that is so well marbled that it goes right off the charts for Prime grading in any other country. The meat ends up looking like it has been left out in the snow because of the intensiveness of the white fat marbling, rivals foie gras for richness and caloric content, and costs an obscene amount, often $300 a pound or more for the real thing from Japan.

I have been exhaustively researching the topic of Kobe Beef in the hopes of purchasing one of those legendary cattle for about a year, since I had heard that they were ranched successfully in the United States for sale to a hungry Japanese market. I finally succeeded, but it wasn't an easy task. Here's why.

Let's start with the basics—Kobe beef comes from a breed of cattle called Wagyu. In order to earn the designation/appellation of "Kobe Beef", the Wagyu beef must come from Kobe, Japan, and meet rigid production standards imposed in that prefecture.

However, land and grain are expensive in Japan. So what is happening is that the beef production houses in Kobe have been contracting out to other producers to custom raise their cattle for them. Most specifically, Harris Ranch in California, among other producers in America and Australia—land and grain is cheap over there, and it's worth the shipping costs to have the cattle raised overseas. So they have the cattle raised to their exactingly specified Kobe standards, and they actually fabricate the carcasses in Kobe, making them legally "Kobe Beef" even though the cattle were actually born, bred and fed somewhere else.

The "Wagyu beef" designation can legally be applied to the meat from any cattle of the Wagyu breed; it's a genetic thing, not a place appellation or a reference to how the cattle were raised and fed. This breed is genetically predisposed to intense marbling, and produces a higher percentage of oleaginous, unsaturated fat than any other breed of cattle known in the world.

The reason for this is that Japan has been selectively breeding for marbling grade for centuries, while cattle ranchers in America relied on external conformation until just a few decades ago. Even today, carcass evaluation is a relatively new step in show judging, and only beginning to be a factor in the professional stud books of other countries.

Okay, why is it so bloody expensive and hard to find?
In summary, Wagyu cattle are astounding in yield grade and marbling, significantly superior in this respect to any other known breed. So why aren't more farmers ranching them in America?

Simple. Not enough of a market. The massive supermarket chains (Safeway, Lucky, FoodsCo, etc) carry Select grade beef which has minimal marbling. They restructured and lowered the grading of beef itself at one point (I think in the 1940's, but I could be mistaken on this) to reflect a more conservation conscious economy, because cattle fed out to a lower ratio of marbling were a more efficient return on resources. So today's Select grade beef (which is below Prime and below Choice) is lean indeed, the equivalent of pre-war Good grade.

While Wagyu beef has healthier fat (if there is such a thing!) and less waste backfat that American breeds, lean and skinny it is not, and the market for high prime beef is very limited in America. It's fit to mass market only in Japan, so there it all goes, even if it's largely ranched elsewhere these days.

Annoyingly, when we in America want to purchase Wagyu, we have one of two options: we can buy it shipped back over from Japan at some insane cost per pound that includes two transoceanic fares, or we can try to track down an independent Wagyu rancher who will sell one carcass. This is harder than you think.

So, what's the big deal about this beef anyways? What does it taste like?
How does Wagyu beef taste? If it's cooked wrong, lousy. Bland. Not too flavorful. Kind of boring. If you cook it right? Awesome. Beef foie gras. Smooth, velvety, incomparably sweet with a subtle tang of savor that lingers on the palate like a rare perfume. It's a Japanese thang, I guess, and a Westerner used to eating a huge plate of aged beef (which is also something I adore) might not be able to fully appreciate the subtlety of Wagyu.

And true Kobe beef? Overrated. At ten times the price because the cow was raised on expensive land eating expensive Japanese grain and beer, the quality is not noticeably better than ordinary Wagyu beef that grades out to super-prime. About those legendary cow massages? It's in part because they don't have enough room to exercise in a normal paddock. American and Australian raised Wagyu cattle that get the oleaginous feed and a well designed exercise program grade out just fine, and I doubt even the most discerning palate could tell the difference if the grade was the same.

Anyhow, I hate to say this, but it's a waste for the average consumer to buy Wagyu beef and try to cook it at home without special instructions. If you care enough to buy the stuff in the first place, research how to cook it before you lay out the dough—it is markedly different from anything you will have handled before, and I mean markedly. Its physical structure, texture and cooking times do not resemble beef so much as foie gras, except that it doesn't poach nearly as well and responds better to searing.

How do I cook Wagyu if I actually buy some?
If you try to treat a Wagyu steak as if you were cooking beef, you will be sorry you did, and you will look down at your plate and say, "Damn, I spent that much money on this?" Don't do that. Think about quick-sear cooking techniques for things like rare tuna and foie gras, not about steak. If you do it right, you may just acquire an addiction for life. ;)

Open flames, preheated cast iron and Wagyu beef are friends. Good friends. A quick sear of thin pieces in a very hot flame works wonders, and if you are lucky enough to have a thick steak, you want it absolutely seared and crispy on the outside and raw and quivering on the inside, even if you do not normally eat your steak this way.

You can use an intensely preheated cast iron pan or grill to achieve this effect, but you cannot allow the steak to remain in contact with heat for long enough to melt all the fat and cause it to drip out of the internal structures of the meat, or you will end up with boringly tough, dry, expensive meat.

Wagyu is a fragile creature under heat. Treat it delicately and with the utmost care, and it will reward you with velvety perfection. Another good analogy to cooking Wagyu is that of a baked Alaska—you need to sear the outside, but if you let it sit under the heat too long, it will melt the ice cream inside, and you will have an unappetizing mess. The physical structure of Wagyu beef is not unlike ice cream in that it can literally melt and change into something very different from its ideal form.

Wagyu sashimi, or thin raw strips of beef marinated in a bit of soy sauce, dashi broth and green onion, is very popular in Japan. If tartare is not to your taste, place the thin strips on top of a very hot bowl of rice briefly, and the heat will cook it perfectly. Which is to say, very slightly. "Well done" and "Wagyu" are not words that go well together.
Marko Puš

OdgovorNapisal/-a kuzma2 » Pe Nov 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Bojda se ga da naročiti iz Anglije( se pravi izvor iz GB) 10 kosov 200 gr. stejkov stane cca 300 EUR( primerno pakirano z hladilnim telesom), plus cca 200 EUR za hitro pošto z dostavo naslednji dan. Se pravi 50 EUR je nabava enega kosa.

Toda, trenutno sprejemajo naročila za dobavo Marec 2008.
Pa dober tek!
FK
kuzma2

OdgovorNapisal/-a Marko Puš » Pe Nov 30, 2007 5:43 pm

No, pa imamo idejo za en avdiofilski piknik. :lol:
Marko Puš

OdgovorNapisal/-a VCC » So Dec 01, 2007 10:57 am

[quote="Marko Puš"]No, pa imamo idejo za en avdiofilski piknik. :lol:

Poglejte, kaj sem našel:

http://www.johnmariani.com/archive/2006/060702/index.html

precej o steakih, kater del mesa je kater, s tem bi lahko celo kakemu našemu mesarju kaj razložimo, kaj rabimo. Bi blo pa zanimivo po moje nardit eno dirko med USDA prime beef stejkom in recimo stejkom iz kakšnega doma futranega bikca, na primer s Pohorja....
LP; VCC
VCC

Na vrh

OdgovorNapisal/-a kuzma2 » So Dec 01, 2007 11:50 am

Če je nekaj" eko" še ne pomeni da je automatsko tudi dobro.
Tako reklamirajo pohorsko govedino npr. pri Krištofu v Predosljah, kjer je sicer bil pred cca 1.5 leta stejk zelo dober.
Pa niti ne bi omenjal doma "futranih" vin! Po logiki naravnega, bi imeli še vedno divje češnje in divja jabolka in npr. vino, ki so ga pili Rimljani je bilo pitno le, če se je mešalo z vodo.
FK
kuzma2

Holly Steak

OdgovorNapisal/-a kuzma2 » Če Jan 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Članek iz Dela dopisnice Timesa o iskanju najboljšega Steaka z dne 23.1.2008:

DELO –članek iz TIME revije 23.1.2008

Ko brboncice določajo smer

Idealnega zrezka ne boste našli v supermarketih, toda tudi najbolj izbrana govedina lahko postane trda, ce z njo ne ravnamo pravilno.

Kulinarični turizem ni nic novega. Veliko turistov se odloča za potovanja zaradi hrane, vrhunske pijače, skratka, brbončice odločajo o izboru poti, zato ni čudno, da je dober goveji zrezek težko najti, počasi bo izginil, skupaj z govedom. Že dolga leta želim (Lydia Itoi iz San Sebastiana je dopisnica za Time) poiskati skrivnost prvobitnega zrezka in imam razloge, zakaj menim, da je to nekje v severni Spaniji.
Pedro Espinosa, pisatelj o hrani, ki stanuje v Madridu, je privolil, da se srečava globoko v Baskovskem gorovju, ki obkroža San Sebastian. Od tam naj bi se pregrizli skozi pokrajino do El Capricha, do restavracije v majhnem mestu Jimenez de Jamuz v severozahodni provinci Leon. Vedeli smo, da Jose Gordon Ferrero, lastnik restavracije, ki je obseden z govedino, izbira na prosti paši do štiri leta staro govedo, potem pa pušča odležati meso tudi do tri mesece. Ko sem slišala, da misli zaklati pet redkih govejih zverin, da bo primerjal kakovost mesa glede na staranje, sem se zavedla, da lahko za 68 dolarjev pri kilogramu za vedno razčistim vse o kakovosti govedine.
Pri tem nikakor ne gre za preprosto vprašanje. Kljub pomislekom gledie poapnenja žil ali bolezni norih krav (BSE) poje povpreč Američn 43 kilogramov govedine na leto, povprečen Evropejec pa samo 18. Prava resnica pa je, da je le majhen del od 56 milijonov ton govedine letne proizvodnje vreden holesterola, ki ga vsebuje. Vse prepogosto se namreč nevedni potrošnik baha, da je za večerjo jedel zrezek, v resnici pa je zvečil nekaj podplatu podobnega.
Zaradi ukrepov proti BSE in naraščajoč cene krme zakoljejo večno govedi v starosti manj kot 30 mesecev. To pa pomeni, da je premlada in preštevilna v gojiščih, da bi razvila svoj bogati okus. Prevec porabnikov je bilo zavedenih, da bo svetlo rdeč, vlažen, v plastiko zavit kos mesa tudi slasten in sočen zrezek. Zivljenje ljudi in govedi bi se znatno izboljsalo, ce bi uporabili modro filozofijo porabe govedine: manj, vendar dobro.

Iskanje idealnega zalogaja

Seveda pa ni tako preprosto. Več ko sem jedla govedine, več sem našla nasprotij in marketinskih mitov. Nov poudarek na leglu in oznaki izvora pomaga pri določitvi kakovostne govedine, vendar to ni nezmotljiv dokaz. Limousin in Chaolais so slava Francije, sodobni Toskanci prisegajo na goveda Chianina, po katerih so s florentinskimi zrezki sloveli že v času Etruscanov in Rimljanov. Anglezi stavijo na slavo svojega rostbifa in pasmo Aberdeen Angus.
Za tisti pravi zrezek je verjetno treba iti dlje kot do lokalnega supermarketa. Dneve sem porabila za raziskave teksaških žarov in majhno bogatstvo za wagyu na Japonskem. Z rokami sem jedla surovega arktičnega mosusa v vodilni koebenhavski restavraciji Noma. Na Manhattan mi je uspelo privabiti celo svojega moža, vendar se mi je po nekaj poskusih na žaru pečenega chuletona (goveja zarebrnica) v restavracijah, kot sta Extebarri in Axpe in Casa Nicolas v Tolosi, radar iskanja preusmeril na sever moje rodne Španije.

Tu sem bila pripravljena jesti zrezke celo dvakrat na dan, da bi končno našla skrivnost o njihovi kakovosti. V restavraciji Baserri Maitea v bližini kraja Guernica nam je Juan Antonio Zaldua pripravil velikanski zrezek vrste Rubia Gallega. Spekel nam je tudi celo večjega, vendar bolj pisanega, nemške pasme. Marmorna pisanost je večinoma genetskega izvora, je pa kazalnik kakovosti, ki kaže na sočnost, vendar ne okusnost. Bolj pust zrezek pasme Rubie Gallege je bil enako okusen in mehak kot bolj masten nemški.

Hrana, vzgoja, genetika

CHULETON-Goveja zarebrnica.
Zaldua trdi, da je seštevek kakovosti posamezne živali hrana, vzgoja, genetika pomembnejsi kot rejec ali pripadnost regiji. Najboljša govedina je, če se živina prosto pase na travi, pozimi pa hrani z zrnatimi žiti in sušeno mrvo. Zaldua pravi, da bosta dva tedna staranja zmehčala najboljše meso, trdega pa ni mogoče zmehčati s še tako dolgim staranjem.
Kot kaze, ga podpira tudi znanost. Tudi med najboljšimi vrstami in brezhibnim izvorom je skoraj nemogoče določiti, katera bo dala najboljši zrezek. Znanstveniki ugotavljajo, da celo nekateri geni vplivajo na kakovost mesa, vendar raziskave še niso tako popolne, da bi lahko na njihovi podlagi vzgajali vrsto z znano mehkobo mesa.
Toda tudi najbolj izbrana govedina lahko postane trda, če z njo ne ravnamo pravilno. Takojšnja ohladi¬tev po zakolu lahko trdoto poveča kar za trikrat. Pravilno moramo zrezek počasi ohlajati in ga potem dovolj dolgo sušiti. Temperatura pri pečenju ne sme preseči 6o stopinj Celzija, kar pomeni srednje pečeno meso.
Ključno za kakovost mesa je, da dovolj časa odlezi, tako izgubi odvečno tekočino, razvije svojstven, žlahten okus in vlakna popustijo. Vprašanje je, koliko dolgo naj ta postopek traja. Tu so mnenja strokovnjakov močno različna. Z vsem spoštovanjem do Zaldue, dva tedna ni dovolj za popoln okus, prav tako ne za mehkobo. Da bi odkrila dokončno skrivnost, sem se odpravila v El Capricho in poskusila dolgo uležano meso.

Od 0 do 100 dni staranja
Prvo, kar sem zagledala, je bib 1400 kilogramov težak palencianski vol z imenom Makalele, strah vzbujajoč kot starodavni zobri. V bližnjem hlevu je bilo še šest podobnih upokojenih primerkov, ki jih Gordon za svojo malo restavracijo zbira po vseh španskih in portugalskih kmetijah, na katerih vzgajajo govedo. Potem ko njihovo meso pridobi primeren okus, se te umirijo od preveč zaužitega sena in žitaric, izogibajo se bližnjih srečanj s telicami in poslušanju latinskega disko popa. Ko se poslovijo od tuzemskega življenja, se meso stara na 0 stopinj Celzija od stirideset do sto dni.
V El Caprichovi zasebni jedilnici pod zemljo pride meso na mizo skoraj surovo in brez kosti. Pekli smo ga kos za kosom v lončeni posodi in ga samo posolili. Uživali smo v prvobitnem okusu govedine, kakršna mora biti. Čutili smo vpliv širokih polj, kjer se je živina pasla. Meso je bilo izredno mehko. Odkrila sem, da je starana govedina zrelega goveda kot kakovostno vino. Sčasoma postane neartikulirano mlado meso polno in izjemnega okusa.

Dobiti kakovostno govedino je menda povsem preprosto. Najdite vola z geni mehkega mesa, naložite mu stroge vaje (veliko se mora gibati), potem pa mu namenite najmanj deset let miru in sočnih pašnikov trave. Od sveta naj se poslovi cim manj stresno, meso naj se počasi ohlaja, potem naj odlezi, dokler ne doseže optimalne kakovosti. Pecite ga na odprtem žaru, pazite, da se ne prepeče, tako da je sredica topla. Dobri zrezki so redkost, dobra novica pa je, da obstajajo v Spaniji.
I. N./TIME
FK
kuzma2

Re: HRANA IN RECEPTI

OdgovorNapisal/-a administrator2 » Ne Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Z veseljem kuhate po receptu in vam ( nam) v večini tudi uspe. Toda velikokrat gre tudi nekaj narobe- predvsem začetnikom in manj izkušenim, katerim je recept tudi v večini namenjem.

Žal nihče v knjigah ne predvidi kaj narediti, ko gre nekaj narobe, oziroma, kaj je sploh šlo narobe in potem, ko nekaj se ni izšlo tak recept enostavno završemo? Zato, ker recept izhaja samo iz tega kaj narediti, pozabi pa napisati zakaj, kako in kaj lahko gre narobe. Mea Culpa!?
FK2
administrator2
Site Admin

Vrni se na GOSTILNE & RESTAVRACIJE 2005-2013

Kdo je na strani

Po forumu brska: 0 registriranih uporabnikov in 1 gost